The 1354C>T polymorphism of the 5-hydroxytryptamine receptor 2A gene (5-HTR2A) was implicated in human memory performance. We investigated the relationship between this polymorphism and cognitive function in patients with temporal lobe epilepsy (TLE). We also evaluated if this polymorphism could influence the phenotype. There were 138 patients with TLE: 25% (34/138) of them found to be cognitively impaired, while the remaining 104 of 138 (75%) were found to be cognitively preserved after a comprehensive neuropsychological evaluation. dHPLC followed by DNA sequencing was used to detect the genetic variation. The distribution of 1354C>T did not differ between these two TLE groups, both in the comparison of genotype distribution (P= 0.177) and allele frequencies (P = 0.065). Nonetheless, patients with the T allele had a significantly earlier age at onset of the disease (P= 0.006). This effect was even stronger in patients with impaired memory (P= 0.00015). A second independent sample of 86 individuals with TLE satisfactorily confirmed the relationship between T allele and age at epilepsy onset. The results of this study have demonstrated that the T variant of 5-HTR2A may influence an earlier age of onset of TLE, especially in those with impaired memory. Nonetheless, this polymorphism has no major impact on memory functions in such TLE patients.
|Titolo:||A Functional Genetic Variation of the 5-HTR2A Receptor Affects Age at Onset in Patients with Temporal Lobe Epilepsy|
|Data di pubblicazione:||2012|
|Appare nelle tipologie:||1.1 Articolo in rivista|