To describe the electroclinical features of the idiopathic generalized epilepsies (IGEs) with versive or circling seizures. METHODS: Sixteen patients with versive or circling seizures and interictal electroclinical features of IGE were studied. Patients with insufficient clinical or imaging data, with a follow-up period less than 1 year or with partial seizures in addition to the versive or circling ones were excluded from the study. All patients underwent full interictal clinical and neurophysiological studies. The EEG patterns of 13 versive or circling seizures from 4 patients were also analyzed. RESULTS: A specific IGE syndrome was recognized in 9 out of the 16 patients (56%). More specific, 1 patient had childhood absence epilepsy (CAE), 4 had juvenile absence epilepsy (JAE), and 4 had juvenile myoclonic epilepsy (JME). No specific IGE syndrome was recognizable in the remaining 7 patients (44%). These 7 patients had a juvenile epileptic syndrome (mean age at onset of seizures was 15.7 years) characterized by versive or circling seizures followed or not by generalized tonic-clonic fits. Three main EEG patterns were identified during versive or circling seizures: 1) generalized spike-and-wave discharges at 3-4 cps; 2) generalized polyspike-and-wave discharges at 1 to 2.5 cps beginning with generalized fast activity at 12-14 cps, and 3) generalized spike-and-wave discharges at 3-4 cps intermingled with fast activity at 12-14 cps. Most patients had good response to treatment on a single drug regimen (mainly valproic acid). CONCLUSIONS: Versive or circling seizures may occur in the context of an IGE. Although many individuals share the features of different IGE syndromes including CAE, JAE and JME, a consistent number of patients, who show circling or versive seizures solely, remain without a specific syndromic diagnosis. When occurring in the context of IGE, circling or versive seizures do not worsen the prognosis.
|Titolo:||Idiopathic Generalized Epilepsies With Versive or Circling Seizures|
|Data di pubblicazione:||1999|
|Appare nelle tipologie:||1.1 Articolo in rivista|