BackgroundWe developed a 13-mer locked nucleic acid (LNA) inhibitor of miR-221 (LNA-i-miR-221) with a full phosphorothioate (PS)-modified backbone. This agent downregulated miR-221, demonstrated anti-tumor activity against human xenografts in mice, and favorable toxicokinetics in rats and monkeys. Allometric interspecies scaling allowed us to define the first-in-class LNA-i-miR-221 safe starting dose for the clinical translation.MethodsIn this first-in-human, open-label, dose-escalation phase 1 trial, we enrolled progressive cancer patients (aged & GE; 18 years) with ECOG 0-2 into 5 cohorts. The treatment cycle was based on a 30-min IV infusion of LNA-i-miR-221 on 4 consecutive days. Three patients within the first cohort were treated with 2 cycles (8 infusions), while 14 patients were treated with a single course (4 infusions); all patients were evaluated for phase 1 primary endpoint. The study was approved by the Ethics Committee and Regulatory Authorities (EudraCT 2017-002615-33).ResultsSeventeen patients received the investigational treatment, and 16 were evaluable for response. LNA-i-miR-221 was well tolerated, with no grade 3-4 toxicity, and the MTD was not reached. We recorded stable disease (SD) in 8 (50.0%) patients and partial response (PR) in 1 (6.3%) colorectal cancer case (total SD + PR: 56.3%). Pharmacokinetics indicated non-linear drug concentration increase across the dose range. Pharmacodynamics demonstrated concentration-dependent downregulation of miR-221 and upregulation of its CDKN1B/p27 and PTEN canonical targets. Five mg/kg was defined as the recommended phase II dose.ConclusionsThe excellent safety profile, the promising bio-modulator, and the anti-tumor activity offer the rationale for further clinical investigation of LNA-i-miR-221 (ClinTrials.Gov: NCT04811898).

Safety and activity of the first-in-class locked nucleic acid (LNA) miR-221 selective inhibitor in refractory advanced cancer patients: a first-in-human, phase 1, open-label, dose-escalation study

Tassone P.
;
Di Martino M. T.;Arbitrio M.;Fiorillo L.;Staropoli N.;Ciliberto D.;Cordua A.;Scionti F.;Bertucci B.;Lopreiato M.;Cuomo O.;Zito M. C.;Brescia A.;Gualtieri S.;Riillo C.;Manti F.;Caracciolo D.;Barbieri V.;Tagliaferri P.
2023-01-01

Abstract

BackgroundWe developed a 13-mer locked nucleic acid (LNA) inhibitor of miR-221 (LNA-i-miR-221) with a full phosphorothioate (PS)-modified backbone. This agent downregulated miR-221, demonstrated anti-tumor activity against human xenografts in mice, and favorable toxicokinetics in rats and monkeys. Allometric interspecies scaling allowed us to define the first-in-class LNA-i-miR-221 safe starting dose for the clinical translation.MethodsIn this first-in-human, open-label, dose-escalation phase 1 trial, we enrolled progressive cancer patients (aged & GE; 18 years) with ECOG 0-2 into 5 cohorts. The treatment cycle was based on a 30-min IV infusion of LNA-i-miR-221 on 4 consecutive days. Three patients within the first cohort were treated with 2 cycles (8 infusions), while 14 patients were treated with a single course (4 infusions); all patients were evaluated for phase 1 primary endpoint. The study was approved by the Ethics Committee and Regulatory Authorities (EudraCT 2017-002615-33).ResultsSeventeen patients received the investigational treatment, and 16 were evaluable for response. LNA-i-miR-221 was well tolerated, with no grade 3-4 toxicity, and the MTD was not reached. We recorded stable disease (SD) in 8 (50.0%) patients and partial response (PR) in 1 (6.3%) colorectal cancer case (total SD + PR: 56.3%). Pharmacokinetics indicated non-linear drug concentration increase across the dose range. Pharmacodynamics demonstrated concentration-dependent downregulation of miR-221 and upregulation of its CDKN1B/p27 and PTEN canonical targets. Five mg/kg was defined as the recommended phase II dose.ConclusionsThe excellent safety profile, the promising bio-modulator, and the anti-tumor activity offer the rationale for further clinical investigation of LNA-i-miR-221 (ClinTrials.Gov: NCT04811898).
2023
Advanced
Cancer
Clinical trial
First-in-class
First-in-human
LNA-i-miR-221
Non-coding RNA therapeutics
Phase 1
RNA therapeutics
Refractory
miR-221
miRNA
miRNA therapeutics
microRNA
File in questo prodotto:
Non ci sono file associati a questo prodotto.

I documenti in IRIS sono protetti da copyright e tutti i diritti sono riservati, salvo diversa indicazione.

Utilizza questo identificativo per citare o creare un link a questo documento: https://hdl.handle.net/20.500.12317/87957
 Attenzione

Attenzione! I dati visualizzati non sono stati sottoposti a validazione da parte dell'ateneo

Citazioni
  • ???jsp.display-item.citation.pmc??? ND
  • Scopus 3
  • ???jsp.display-item.citation.isi??? 5
social impact